- President Ram Nath Kovind gives nod to Govt's 10 percent quota for general category Times Now
- President Ram Nath Kovind signs bill providing 10% quota for economically weaker sections in general catego... Zee News
- Bill for 10% Reservation to Economically Weak Upper Castes Cleared By President News18
- President clears 10% reservation for economically weak in general category Economic Times
- 10% Reservation For Economically Weak Cleared By President, Becomes Law NDTV News
- Googleसमाचार पर पूरी खबर देखें
The bill to provide 10 percent quota for the general category got the assent of President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday. With the Presidential consent, the bill has been made into law.
With this, the total percentage of the reservation will go up to 60, surpassing the 50 per cent ceiling prescribed by the Supreme Court.
The Constitution (124 Amendment) Bill, 2019 was passed in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday and the Rajya Sabha a day later even as Opposition leaders questioned the timing, just months ahead of the 2019 general election.
With this, the total percentage of reservation will go up to 60, surpassing the 50 per cent ceiling prescribed by the Supreme Court.
Ten per cent of government jobs and college seats will now be reserved for people outside high income brackets as President Ram Nath Kovind cleared a landmark bill passed by parliament this week.